Friday, January 25, 2013

Fabric of Life... Ghosts from the past

It's been an eventful month. After everyone left I decided to focus on obtaining my Technician class amateur radio operators license. I studied using apps available from the android appstore and even downloaded a study guide available free in .pdf format from the www.kb6nu.com website.

During this time we ended up with a few days off around the 12th and chose to spend them in San Antonio. We re-visited the River Walk and spent some time in the Alamo area exploring more of the grounds on which it sits.  Interesting enough, the Alamo is one of many missions located along the San Antonio River near downtown. While we weren't able to see them, we will be exploring them on a trip in the near future. We also had to replace the front brakes on the car during our trip. Luckily, the hotel we chose was situated kitty-corner to a shop and located on the trolley routes for the Alamo and downtown areas. We ended up utilizing the public transportation system and found it quite sufficient.

After we returned from San Antonio to our gate we spent the next few days getting back in the groove of things. I went to the Red Cross building on the 19th and took my ham test and passed the technician portion with flying colours. Waiting to receive my call letters feels like Christmas Eve waiting for Santa to arrive.

I received a surprise message from my mother on facebook the other day saying that a person I knew when I was in the Army was trying to find me and had called her and my Uncle John's house looking for me.  What a blast from the past, this person is actually the wife of my best friend that died in the first Gulf War.  I am still reeling from hearing her voice after all these years and her son's voice, who was only a few months old when his father died, and his spitting image.  I cant even begin to express what that feels like. Its like a small window back in time. David, I still miss you, even after all these years.

Gotta go

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome as long as they are topical and aren't spam.