Friday, July 20, 2012

First Gate.

We got our first gate today and its been tremendous. Everyone has been very nice and we seem to have a real nice setup. Not to say it hasn't been eventful, we were in the H.E.B. getting a few groceries when we got the call. So we went to check out and the register malfunctioned, once we got out of there and headed back to the Whitsett yard, we had to play a little traffic checkers with 3 welding trucks. Once we got back to the yard and got everything situated we headed over to our gate which is near a little town named Tilden. Toie checked vehicles while I got everything setup with the RV. After I got things about the way I wanted them, I relieved Toie so that she could rest and take the evening shift which is a bit cooler. 

I'm not gonna lie, it was hot today and it will be hot tomorrow and for the foreseeable future it will be hot.  Larry(our support guy) asked me to check the oil on our company generator once a day for him so I will be doing that early in the am while it is still cool.  When we got here we discovered that some of the people here before left a beat up chair and a green indoor outdoor carpet thingy so I am putting them to use. Toie thinks I'm a little goofy for trying to resurrect that chair

We are on a 24 hour gate, that means that there is activity ALL the time.  Since we arrived we have checked in and out quite a few vehicles and as of this moment its pretty quiet. As soon as I wrote that last sentence, the clipboard fell off the table, scattering 55 pages of logs all over the ground, my phone fell out of my pocket and onto the ground, immediately falling apart, then I had a few vehicles go through and I went over and started our light tower, which has a sound all its own. So basically at this moment I am running two generators, one for lights and one for the coach. The sound of them both could put you to sleep. I would have to say that we are on a really good gate so far from what I've experienced. I'll let you know how I really feel in a few days. LOL.


1 comment:

  1. That green carpet you got there looks very nice indeed and will serve you well as long as it doesn't rain. I would suggest finding some pallets to lay on the ground and then the carpet. I did something similar at our lease out in West Texas. Except instead of carpet I put 3/8 ply on top of the pallets and screwed it in place. Pretty handy that when it rains. This ole caliche is some nasty stuff when it gets wet. And getting it off your shoes before you get in the trailer is next to impossible. congrats on your new job, new life, new way of living it. My wife (Mary)and I started our little gig with this a little over a month ago. But we have been living full time out of our RV trailer for 2 years working in the patch out in West Texas and also New Mexico and Oklahoma. I was welding. Been doing that for 12 years. But I am tired of frying in the hot summer sun so we decided to watch gates for a while. Good luck. Clay

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome as long as they are topical and aren't spam.