Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thoughts

Its a funny thing, I have an idea in my head I want to write about, I grab the tablet to start writing then WHOOSH! its outta my head faster than water down a drain.

Gate Guarding

I notice that in the Gate Guard community many people that maintain a blog at some point write about the requirements of the job. What it basically boils down to is being prepared. 

1. At some point there will be some kind of hiccup/failure with either the company equipment or your own that will need some sort of immediate attention. 

2. Ask questions. Make sure that you know what the company man wants.

3. Own the gate your on.  

While the examples I gave above don't cover some of the nuances, the point is still the same. Be Prepared

Traffic

I'm not talking about the kind that we wish others would go out and play in, I mean the kind that webmasters get all a flutter about. I have learned that writing a blog, while being an outlet for my thoughts and topics I want to discuss, that it boils down to web traffic.  Trying to generate capture this elusive, mysterious thing can present something of a challenge.  

Quality Content is a huge player in this game.  Reading other blogs helps and some of the writers do indeed make it look very easy to do, however I have learned that is not always the case.  I'm starting to write in a word processor and then pasting that content here.  One of the advantages for me is the word count in the word processing program, I'm shooting for at least 500 words a post.    

Advertising is another big player, if no one knows about your blog, how can they read it.  I have taken to posting a link on Facebook when I make a new post.  I figure that a daily link to the blog isn't any worse than some of the other "stuff" that gets posted there.

Waiting

In a society that has become so used to instant gratification, patience isn't always in good supply. Occupying one's time productively is challenging and requires a bit of self-discipline, of which I am not always as successful as I would like.  One of my problems being, especially since starting this blog, is I'm unsure about the how interesting our antics while waiting here in Iowa are.  Writing about how our friends septic is having trouble probably wouldn't appeal to a wide audience.

Until later,

Have a GREAT day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome as long as they are topical and aren't spam.